How to Grill on a Deck Safely
While Labor Day has passed, there are still plenty of wonderful grilling days left in Maryland. If you have a wood deck, you might be concerned that grilling on top of it could be hazardous. Thankfully, there are many different ways to grill on a wood deck without being concerned about fire. Here are some of the best grilling safety tips!
Grilling Safety Tips to Grill on a Deck
- Always keep the grill at least 8-10 feet away from deck railings, house siding and all other flammable items. It’s also a good idea to keep the grill on your deck away from any plants, eaves, and trees.
- Grilling Safety 101: Never leave your grill unattended when it is lit on the deck, even if the lid is on or there is no food inside of it.
- Purchase a grill mat to sit underneath the grill on your deck and protect the wood underneath from any sparks or stains. You can purchase grill mats in any shape, size or color, but you should look for one that is heavy enough it will not be blown away easily. Any grill mat that you purchase should also be made from fire-resistant material.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near your grill, even if you are experienced and have a grill mat underneath. If a grease fire does happen by the grill on your deck, never pour water on it!
- Practice two-zone cooking when you grill to prevent flare-ups. When you practice two-zone cooking, the grill will have a hot side and a cold side. This gives you somewhere to quickly move food to if a flare-up happens due to fat dripping on the charcoal.
- Clean your grill regularly to get rid of any grease buildup that could be highly flammable. Putting a water pan or drip pan underneath the food helps to stop grease and fat from falling on the charcoal and needing to be cleaned up in the future.
- Finally, always close the vents on your grill once you finish. The air vents in the grill on your deck will suffocate the fire inside completely once they are closed. Wait 24 hours after cleaning to get rid of the ash left behind in the grill to be as safe as possible.
Build your Perfect Wood Deck with Help from Excel Fencing and Decking
At Excel Fencing and Decking, we are proud to meet the needs of every customer, whether they are searching for new residential wood fencing or repairs to aluminum decking. We are a full-service fencing and decking company working throughout the greater Baltimore area and carrying top brands including Trex, Azek, Shoreline Vinyl Systems and Wolf PVC Decking. To learn more about our services, give us a call at (410) 803-9499.