Benefits of a Kitchen Island
A kitchen island is a great investment. It’s trendy, adds value to your home, and offers extra storage, seating and counter space. Let’s take a look at some of the uses and benefits of a kitchen island.
If your kitchen lacks storage space, an island may be the perfect solution. They can provide additional drawers, pull-out shelves, and cabinets. A kitchen island is also a great spot for the kids to do their homework or help prepare a meal.
Place bar stools or tall chairs at the kitchen island for extra seating. Guests or family members can sit on them and chat with you while you’re cooking. It will also be handy when you entertain.
They are Moveable
Kitchen islands also come in moveable styles. You can set the island out of the way after a meal and free up space. Moveable kitchen islands are perfect for small or busier kitchens.
You can add amenities to the kitchen island. Preparation sinks, refrigerator drawers, and extra cooking space will all come in handy.
They are Customizable
A big benefit of kitchen islands is the ability to customize them. With new technologies and materials, you can add many features to your kitchen while keeping a clean, simple design. Kitchen islands are a trend that is likely here to stay.
Kitchen Island Countertop Materials
There are many kinds of materials for countertops on the market. Budget-friendly options include plastic laminate or solid surface man-made finishes. If you have a mid-level budget, look into higher grades of solid surfaces. Options for folks with higher budgets include granite, butcher block and exotic wood varieties. Let’s take a look at some of the common countertop materials.
- Granite. This is one of the top choices, but it comes at a premium price. Granite is a natural stone that comes in a variety of colors and patterns. This material is durable and tough, and resistant to heat. It can last for decades.
- Marble. This material is similar in price to granite and can last for years. It’s a high-end kitchen countertop material known for its aesthetic appeal. Marble comes in many colors and unique patterns. It holds up well against heat and is resistant to cracking, chipping or breaking.
- Quartz. Engineered stone quartz is a great option if you want the natural stone appearance of marble or granite. It’s also budget-friendly, easy to clean, and durable. It’s vulnerable to heat damage, so don’t put a hot object on it.
- Wood or Butcher Block. These countertops are typically made of maple, oak, teak, ash or even bamboo. Wood is very durable, but can become scratched, stained or burned.
- Laminate. Popular with DIYers, laminate is inexpensive and easy to install. It has a shorter lifespan than other materials and is prone to peeling.
- Solid-Surface. This material is made out of a blend of acrylic particles and resins. It was first created as an alternative to natural stone countertops. It’s resistant to stains and is more cost-effective. However, it can’t take the heat and is vulnerable to abrasive damage.
The Popularity of Kitchen Islands
Kitchen islands are one of the most sought-after home upgrades. According to a 2022 study, 57% of renovating homeowners either add or upgrade an existing kitchen island. Adding a kitchen island is one of the best ways to boost the value of your kitchen. Potential buyers love them and it’s an investment that’s not likely to go out of style.
Let Us Spruce Up Your Kitchen Space
Excel Fencing and Decking is your number one source in the Greater Baltimore Region for your fencing, decking and interior remodeling needs. We provide superior service to Cecil, Baltimore, Harford, Howard and Anne Arundel Counties. Call us directly at 410-803-9499 or fill out our contact form for more information.